Long gone are the days when garages simply stored automobiles. Today, garages carry out a wide variety of purposes. Whether your garage is used as a storage space, an area for weekend projects, or a place to entertain, it is probably utilized as the main access to your home. For this reason, along with technological advances, garage door openers have improved to meet new requirements.
The LiftMaster® Elite Series® Model 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener is one of the latest innovations in the garage door industry. Its features as listed on LiftMaster’s website include:
- Easy wall-mount installation means no rails to hang
- Powerful 24V DC motor provides ultra-quiet operation, along with variable speed smooth start and smooth stop
- Auto-force feature constantly monitors garage door system and adjusts forces to temperature fluctuations, floor height, and door track movement
- The Protector System® safety sensors project an invisible light beam across the garage door opening and automatically reverse the door if anything interrupts the beam while the door is going down
- Security+ 2.0™ rolling code technology assures a new code is sent every time the remote control is used
But perhaps its most impressive feature is the built-in MyQ® technology. When paired with the LiftMaster® Internet Gateway, it allows you to operate your garage door and home lights via smartphone or computer from anywhere in the world! It is amazing how convenient this can be in our hectic lifestyles. If you forget to close the garage door when you leave th house in the morning, it is now possible to close it when you get to the office. When children forget keys and are locked out after school, they may be given access anytime. Postal deliveries can be safely left inside the garage even when you are not home.
The reviews are in and this new and improved home appliance has proven to be as impressive as it claims to be. Another feature often mentioned is the quietness of operation with customer reviews saying “you almost don’t hear it.” As with any new purchase, it is wise to do ia little research.Try downloading the installation manual to be sure you have all of the requirements before buying.
The convenience of automatic garage doors is often taken for granted. Opening and closing with the press of a button, garage doors provide our homes with security and efficient access. A brief history lesson may remind us just how useful this invention has become.
As the car was created and introduced to society there became a need for somewhere to store this new invention. Carriage houses or small barns, held horse drawn carriages so naturally, this became the new home for automobiles. It was only the upper class who could afford to purchase the new mode of transportation. Due to the close quarters, livestock odor quickly seeped into cars and became unacceptable for the wealthy to travel with.
Small parking garages were utilized to avoid this unpleasant smell. Local entrepreneurs made money by charging fifteen to twenty dollars a month to store vehicles. But as automobiles became increasingly popular, single-story parking garages became overcrowded and forced car owners to find a more convenient location.
Back at the carriage houses, barn doors hung from strap hinges would enclose stored cars. At first, a simple sliding door did the trick. Unfortunately, the garage had to be twice the size of the car width so doors were divided into small panels that fold were installed to save space. With a few other designs between, eventually garage doors became even more efficient with the invention sliding overhead doors.
Today, garage door design not only looks more appealing, but is also more safe. Sensors that detect objects in the path of a closing door can save the life of a family member or prevent vehicle damage. As technology has progressed so has garage door operation features. Wireless and keychain remotes, keypads, and even cell phones can now be used to open and close your garage door.
photo via realestate.com
1. First, check for power. Make sure the power supply hasn’t been disrupted by verifying the motor is plugged in. Also, check the circuit breaker, fuse or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.
2. If a power disconnect doesn’t seem to be the problem, look into the remote.
You may be out of range and need to move closer to the garage.
The antenna on the motor unit should be hanging down.
Replace the battery in the remote if the unit functions properly when using the wall switch.
Try reprogramming the remote.
3. You may want to check the safety sensors for an obstruction or misalignment. An object in your garage may be interfering with the path of the laser beam. This will disengage operation of your door. Sometimes these sensors can get bumped and throw off alignment of the sensors which will cause your garage door opener to disengage operation too.
4. If the garage door will not open or close properly, Limit controls can be adjusted to ensure complete opening or closing. The limit switch may also be responsible if the door reverses immediately after hitting the floor or if the door opens but the motor won’t stop running.
5. Keep in mind that the hardware connecting the operator to the door can become loose over time and may affect the smooth operation of the door. It is important to periodically check and tighten this hardware before it becomes a safety hazard.
6. Another good maintenance practice is to lubricate the traveling mechanism of the garage door operator. This will minimize excessive noise and extend it’s operating life considerably.
The new Flash2Pass Technology turns your existing headlight high beam switch in your vehicle into a transmitter for your automatic garage door opener. It works with almost all cars, trucks, and motorcycles. A few advantages I’ve found with using this method of opening and closing the garage door are the following:
Probably the most obvious benefit of the Flash2Pass system is it’s convenience. There is no remote to lose and no battery to buy or replace as it is operated by power from your vehicle. It is especially helpful for motorcyclists with no room for a remote. Flash2Pass saves them from the hassle of dismounting their bike to enter a code on a keypad or opening the door manually.
Flash2Pass is compatible with garage door openers manufactured since 1982, making it useable with almost any garage door opener out there. Up to six transmitters may be used per receiver and multiple receivers can be set to work with one transmitter, a feature great for vacation homes or family homes with several vehicles.
3. Easy Installation
This is a quick and simple DIY project! Just connect the receiver where your existing wall-mounted button or switch is located. Mount the transmitter underneath the hood of your vehicle. The complete instructions are safe and easy to follow.
- To increase working range reposition the transmitter closer to the front grill under the hood as it will work best with the least amount of metal obstruction.
- If you have an older garage door opener system, it may not have adequate power supply to operate the Flash2Pass. Simply use an external power adapter. You probably already have an extra adapter that will work lying around.
In looking for a remote for your garage door, it is first important to know the make and model of the garage door operator. If this information can’t be found on the opener itself, you will find it in the owner’s manual. By online research or consulting a local garage door service store, multiple remote recommendations should work for your opener.
Because there are many types of remotes that can be used for a single garage door opener, the search for the right remote can be confusing. Choices of manufacturers and models further complicate decision making. Whether you are looking for a replacement for an old remote or an extra remote for a new opener, Genie garage door opener remotes are known for their consistent quality. With its universal compatibility, convenient small size and simple programming, the Genie G3T-BX Remote is no exception to their reputation.
This remote is compatible with all Geni Intellicode hand-held transmitters and can be used to operate up to three different garage doors. Each of the tree buttons on the Genie G3T-BX remote is defaulted to operate the new intellicode 2 Genie garage door openers but can alternatively be individually programmed for pre-2011, intellicode 1 models. It also emits both 390 MHz and 315 MHz frequencies, ensuring the strongest possible signal to the receiver.
The light weight, compact design makes the Genie G3T-BX remote a perfect addition to a keychain. It fits comfortably in a hand, pocket, or purse giving owners full control for extra security. The included visor clip provides versatility to meet all access needs.
Easy to Program
You may also be concerned about programming a new remote once you’ve made a purchase. The Genie G3T-BX remote programs very quick and easily. The step-by-step detailed instructions included with this remote will guide you through the simple process in minutes.
Based on the Genie brand reputation and many customer reviews, the Genie G3T-BX remote is one of the best remote options for your garage door opener. The wide compatibility, efficient size, and stress-free programming make finding the right remote for your garage door opener less complicated.